Jabalpur Engineering College (JEC), formerly known as Government Engineering College, Jabalpur is an institute located in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India. JEC was founded in 1947 as the Government Engineering College, Jabalpur during the British rule in India, so is the second hoariest engineering college in the country & the oldest in central India.
- It was affiliated to the University of Sagar from 1947 to 1956, then to the University of Jabalpur until the year 1999 and from 1999 to 2010 to Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal which is the State Technological University of Madhya Pradesh
- In 1997, it received the status of autonomous institute & in 2010; it was acknowledged an autonomous university by the Govt. of Madhya Pradesh. It is also a nodal research center of Rajiv Gandhi Technical University.
- All the courses are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi and recognized by the Directorate of Technical Education, Madhya Pradesh.
- The institute got recognition from the National Board of Accreditation of All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi for the undergraduate degrees of Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Electronics & Telecommunication and Computer Science departments.
- High Voltage Laboratory and Telecommunication Department has been regarded as one of the Centers for Excellence by Govt. of India in appreciation of its involvement in the area of testing & High-Voltage research.
- The college has a lush green campus stretched out over 255 acres land, amusing in natural flora and fauna along with Robertson Lake as a background. The campus is well connected to the city, being 13 km from the Jabalpur Airport, 6 km away from the Jabalpur Railway Station and 9 km from the Jabalpur Bus Stand
- The MOU?s signed with national & international organizations such as Infosys, Wipro, TCS, IBM, CISCO etc for promoting training of students and enhancing enormously the students through campus recruitments
- Some notable alumni of the institute are:
Ajai Chowdhry ? Padma Bhushan, Co-founder & Chairman of HCL Enterprise & IIT Patna and Former Chairman of IIT Hyderabad.
C. B. Bhave ? Former chairman and managing director of National Securities Depository Limited and Securities and Exchange Board of India
P. R. Baghel ? Regional Director at CEMILAC of DRDO
Lalit Kumar Pahwa ? CEO ? Auto Products, Escorts Group
Academics: The institute offers bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees in Engineering and Applied Sciences. According to a recent announcement, the institute is starting courses in management, design, architecture, pharmacy, cyber and business laws. The college has 12 different departments; engineering courses are available in these departments:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics Communication Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Information Technology Engineering
- Industrial & Production Engineering etc
Master of Engineering and Doctoral Degree are provided in Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering. The Departments of Applied Science also provides Master of Science and Doctoral Degree.
Extracurricular: College has following student bodies which organize and manage many extracurricular activities throughout the academic year-
Student Organized Workshops
Web Development Team
JEC Theatre Club
JEC Photographic Society
Publications: College students also take active part in publishing annual magazine of the college and also they have an online magazine-
JEC Online Magazine ? Swarnima
JEC Annual Magazine ? Abhiyaam
Facilities: The college provides a wide range of facilities to the students which include-
Jabalpur Engineering College has one of the largest and oldest the technical libraries in country having around 1,10,000 volumes of books including all science and technology program books such as of physics, mathematics, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, electronics & industrial engineering.
College provides splendid facilities in sports. The campus comprises of
? A post office
Events/Festivals: The college organizes following main festivals-
- Aureole- It is one of the largest technical cum cultural fests of central India. It has around 52 technical & cultural events
- WordCamp - International Conference on Wordpress
- Cruzade- Techno-Management Fest
- Agaaz - Annual Sports & Cultural Fest
- TEDxJECollege - International Conference
- HELIX ? Literary festival
- Careers360, a national level, student career magazine gave a rating of A to Jabalpur Engineering College in India and an AAA in Madhya Pradesh.
- Silicon India magazine ranked the institute at 55 for its Electronics & Telecommunication course and at 57 for its Mechanical department in India.
- Jabalpur Engineering College is the first in India to introduce undergraduate degree in Electronics & Telecommunication.
- Jabalpur Engineering College was honored as the "Best Government Engineering College" in India for two years in a row (2011 & 2012) by Star News.
- A survey on technical schools conducted by Digital Mailers in 2012 ranked JEC at No. 47, nationally
- Outlook India ranked Jabalpur Engineering College at No. 34 in India
- The institute is also accredited by Tata Consultancy Services, India's oldest and largest software company.
- The state & central government has sanctioned approx.14 stipends & scholarships to ST/SC students.
- The students who stood at top in seventh semester in their related branches are awarded a gold medal.
- A gold medal is given to the girl who is the topper in her branch.
- Physically challenged candidates are also provided with scholarships.A stipend of 8000 rupees per month for all GATE qualified M.E. students for a period of 24 months by the Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India and scholarship of 16,000 rupees per month for PhD students during their period of research.